Monday, August 21, 2006

Tofu Salad - My Way

With those yummy pickles residing in the fridge, I wanted to find a way to begin using them (while I can still get kirby cucumbers to make another batch). I really felt like egg salad (a craving I get about once a year), but we only had one egg since I dropped the other last night. Egg on the floor - awesome! Oh the dilemma.

Since eggs were out of the question, I began to contemplate alternatives. Luckily, I had a pound of lite tofu lurking in the back of the fridge. I decided to come up with my own variation of Tofu Salad. Now, there are two types of texture to tofu salad. There's the kind of tofu salad which resembles egg salad, and the tofu is mashed with the other ingredients. My recipe is not that kind of salad. I prefer dicing the tofu into small cubes, sauteeing them with a quick dash of cooking spray to cook off the water, and then mixing the browned cubes with the other ingredients. That's just my personal preference, but feel free to take the recipe in any direction you like.


Tofu Salad
Serves 3-4 (depending on how much you like to pack into your sandwich)

Ingredients
1 pound lite (or regular) tofu, drained and cubed into 1/4 inch squares)
1/2 cup light mayonnaise
1/4-1/2 cup diced pickles (or relish)
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
Salt
Pepper to taste

Spray a nonstick frying pan with cooking spray, and turn on burner to medium-high heat. Add tofu, and stir. Cook tofu (stirring frequently) for about ten minutes, or until cubes begin to brown and turn golden. Turn off heat.

While tofu cooks, prepare other ingredients. Dice pickles (or add relish), and place in mixing bowl. Add mustard, salt and pepper, and mayonnaise. Add tofu cubes when finished cooking. Stir thoroughly to make sure ingredients are fully combined.

Add tofu salad to a sandwich, or a salad. Use as you would use egg salad. Enjoy.

No comments: